Mixing Oil Based Paints and Then Applying to Steel Fence That Flaked off Few Months Later?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

johnorford
Labourer
Labourer

Mixing Oil Based Paints and Then Applying to Steel Fence That Flaked off Few Months Later?

by johnorford » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:07 pm

This question is about some oil-based paint which I mixed, applied to a steel fence and found that it flaked after a few months.
Let me explain I live in the tropics and the paint is a well-known local brand - though not the very best. The paint is exposed to temperatures between 21 degs C and 34 degs C, the actual seasonal variation being about 9 degs C.
To get a blue-grey colour I mixed the manufacturers white and black, then added blue colouring, made especially for paint. This was applied over two coats of red oxide of the same make. After some five or six months, the mixed colour was flaking quite badly.
It may be not relevant but when we re-painted, a paint-stripper was used and this removed the remains of the coloured paint without (as far as we could all see) any of the red oxide primer.
I'd be grateful for some advice about this; I have my suspicions but would much appreciate some real knowledge.

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:47 pm