Mould after damp proofing
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gosforthgirl
Labourer
Labourer

Mould after damp proofing

by gosforthgirl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi there
We've just moved into a Victorian Terrace and noticed that the kitchen seemed damp. We had a damp person in who stripped the kitchen right back and put in a new damp proof course. It was just before Christmas when the bad snow was around so it took ages for the plaster to dry and after waiting about three weeks we just went for it and fitted the kitchen. Now we have mould in a couple of places in the kitchen - behind the cooker and in one of the corners of the room. I don't know whether this is because it hadn't dried properly or because the damp proofing wasn't done properly - but either way I don't really know what to do about it. Can anyone please offer any advice?

Many thanks

SPUD1701
Tradesman
Tradesman

by SPUD1701 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi

If the damp marks appear like tide mark or wet marks I would contact the people who carried out the damp proof works, you should have a guarantee which they will be able to fix the problem under.

If the marks are black sooty looking, this is condensation, possibly due to warn weather inside condensing on really cold walls outside.

With it being the kitchen lots of moist air, may have to consider installing an extractor fan that is ducted direct to the outside air and installing ensuring that you have vents known in the room that also allow fresh air in, independent of the extractor.

With the cooker - space limited behind there and if air moist in room and no fresh air circulating, then condensation can occur.

Hope this helps

gosforthgirl
Labourer
Labourer

by gosforthgirl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Many Thanks for your help. You've put my mind at rest a bit even if it means having to buy an extractor!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:20 am