Mould around Downlights in Bathroom of Rented Flat
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
neilyoung1
Labourer
Labourer

Mould around Downlights in Bathroom of Rented Flat

by neilyoung1 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:27 pm

Hi all,

We have a flat we let out and the tenants have mentioned that mould is appearing around one of the downlights. We do have an extractor fan in the bathroom that is set up to come on and off with humidity levels and there is a window that they open too when it is warmer outside. I am assuming the mould is attracted to the downlight because the loft insulation can not be laid right up to the light housing so this bit of ceiling will be colder.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can remedy this? Someone did mention to me there is a "dome" that can go over the housing to help keep the area insulated but I've been unable to find anything. It may be that we need to adjust the humidity threshold on the extractor fan but this is fiddly and we find it hard to get it to work reasonably rather than staying on for hours unnecessarily.

Thanks for any help.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Mould around Downlights in Bathroom of Rented Flat

by stoneyboy » Mon May 25, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi neilyoung1,
There are downlighters on the market where insulation can be placed over the top of them. If you do this do not use standard halogen lamps because these will overheat - fit led ones instead.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:48 am