Mould in 3 bedrooms
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nickbaker66
Labourer
Labourer

Mould in 3 bedrooms

by nickbaker66 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:15 pm

I live in a semi-detached house and the 3 bedrooms upstairs that face the outside walls have white mould not the dark black stuff over the walls i have cleaned it with bleach but it just keeps coming, its not so bad in the summer but the winter it's worse which then gets in the wardrobes and all sorts

So i am after some advise really -

The windows in 1 of the bedroom's are really old they are wood frame double glazed windows that have a lot of condensation on which i try to wipe up as best i can.

In bedroom 1 it has a 600mm high radiator by 900mm wide, the size of the is room is approx 13ft by 14ft with brand new windows (not much condensation on them) or mould on that wall but the side wall collects a lot of mould.

In bedroom 2 it has a 600mm high radiator by 1200mm wide, but this room as a stud wall in it to create 2 bedrooms the window wall (old windows soon to be replaced in Jan) has spots of mould on it but

In bedroom 3 it has no radiator loads of mould in the corners of the room, each side of window wall (again old windows soon to be replaced in Jan) and the external side wall as well has loads over it.

sorry to drag on, now my question is once i have the new windows installed if i put a bigger radiator on the external wall's in bedroom 1 & 3 will that keep the wall's warm in the cold weather and stop mould spores collecting on the wall or put plasterboard on both side wall's so it does not get too cold or both radiator & plasterboard in both rooms or maybe another solution

i am stuck for answers on this issue and its really getting me & my wife down.... Thanks for reading

Nick

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

by Dan the man » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:23 am

Hi Nick,

Condensation is the root of most moulds and ventilation is the key, new windows will help a great deal, try not putting clothes on rads, open windows for a 10 mins every day to keep fresh air circulating, if you just change a few things it will help a lot, if the room heats up well when the heating is on then bigger rads wont really help. Try not to keep things right up against the wall, leave a small gap. Check your gutters and keep them free from muck.

Why not strip the wall paper off in one room and see exactly whats underneath it and work out wheres damp, check the plaster isnt perished and if it is then hack it off and dry line it with plasterboard, do one room at a time and take your time.

Good Luck
Pete

nickbaker66
Labourer
Labourer

by nickbaker66 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:25 pm

Pete,

there is no radiator in one room and a small radiator in the other room both suffer with mould, the gutters are clear so it sounds like the plaster might be perished so i better get the wallpaper off and have a look 8)

thanks for your help Pete

andyp1979
Labourer
Labourer

by andyp1979 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:41 am

I have mould in the bay window (black spots). I have had new windows fitted and treated the mould with bleach but this seems to have only been a short cure. Its come back and seems to be spreading quicker than ever. can anyone suggest anything on this

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:51 am