mould in corner of bedroom
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wakey
Labourer
Labourer

mould in corner of bedroom

Post by wakey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:16 pm

hi i have just cleaned mould off bedroom corner again..it was even in bedroom cabinets,i try to leave my window open to allow air in more..i have just found out my roof has a lining of plastic underneath instead of felt..could this be my problem..not enough ventilation through roof?..its an old roof so am considering either a new one or insulating rafters..can you help please..
graham

fozzy_brick
Labourer
Labourer

Post by fozzy_brick » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:07 pm

you could try putting in a couple of air bricks to help or however replace the plastic sheeting with felt although more expensive the felt will be a lot better protection from the weather

willraff
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by willraff » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:20 am

Hi, it is not enough to simply ventilate the room although this is important; the room must be heated and ventilated at the same time.

I know it sounds odd but air in an unventilated room becomes stale and moisture heavy, eventually the air molecules can no longer support the moisture content and this is deposited as condensation on the nearest cold surface.

A continual supply of fresh dryer air will deposit less condensation and therefore reduce the occurrence of black mould spores which thrive in this environment.

wakey
Labourer
Labourer

Post by wakey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:39 am

willraff wrote:Hi, it is not enough to simply ventilate the room although this is important; the room must be heated and ventilated at the same time.

I know it sounds odd but air in an unventilated room becomes stale and moisture heavy, eventually the air molecules can no longer support the moisture content and this is deposited as condensation on the nearest cold surface.

A continual supply of fresh dryer air will deposit less condensation and therefore reduce the occurrence of black mould spores which thrive in this environment.

hi again im considering insulating the wall which is an exterior solid wall with block insulation to make it warmer and putting in an air brick..would you recommend this?

willraff
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by willraff » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Not sure what you mean by "block insulation" but if you intend to insulate the internal face of an external wall I would advise the use of a breathable membrane between the wall and the insulation.

This will allow moisture vapour to escape from inside the room which would have been deposited as condensation on the wall between the internal face and the insulation.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:36 pm