Mould Removal After Leak Behind Bathroom Sink
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

Pagw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mould Removal After Leak Behind Bathroom Sink

by Pagw » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:05 pm

Hello, I unfortunately discovered a leak behind the sink in one of my bathrooms the other day. The water has had time to soak the floor where it couldn't be seen and also flow to an adjacent bedroom under an interior wall. Black mould has grown on the floor of both rooms up to a couple of feet from where the leak occurred. I'm now letting the floorboards dry out and have had a go at removing the mould using bleach, vinegar and a mould remover product. However, it doesn't seem easy to get rid of, and the black stain seems to go beneath the surface of the wooden boards (though the wood still seems structurally strong). Additionally, the mould in the bathroom is in difficult-to-reach places - inside a wooden enclosure for the pipes behind the sink and between the bathtub and the wall. I think removing it fully will require taking all of this apart.

I was wondering how necessary is it to remove all signs of the mould? Would it be sufficient to dry out the affected areas so that the mould would become inactive? We only use the bathroom in question for toileting and using the sink, so it doesn't get very humid and has never required any effort to keep mould at bay before.

Also, should I be concerned about the wall between the bathroom and bedroom? I can see signs of water ingress reaching just above the skirting board in the bedroom.

Thanks very much for any help you can give.

It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:45 am