Mouldy Carpet Under Skirting Boards
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
*Gill*
Labourer
Labourer

Mouldy Carpet Under Skirting Boards

by *Gill* » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi,
We have recently moved into a ground floor flat which seems to have a condensation problem. I have read about ventilation and all the tips and tricks on reducing water vapour and I am planing on buying a de-humidifier. We still have a problem in the bedroom with the carpet under the skirting boards. It is a llight coloured carpet and we noticed it was dirty looking around the edges. I assumed this was just because it was old and we would replace it when we had the money. Now it looks like it is becoming mouldy but only on the outside wall. Could this be the airbricks letting moisture in? We have lifted the carpet around the internal walls and the floorboards are not damp to the touch, which makes me think it is not rising damp??. I have searched for ages and cant seem to find this particular problem anywhere else. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Gill & Lucas

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:13 pm

*Gill*,
This is a common problem with suspended floors, the dark discolouration is where dirt laden air is being filtered by the edge of the carpet. You could try pulling the carpet back, sealing the gap under the skirting with silicone and once this has cured relay the carpet.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 am