Mouse Proofing - original wooden floors
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
G-G
Labourer
Labourer

Mouse Proofing - original wooden floors

by G-G » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:43 am

This is going to sound a bit silly, but i am buying a house with original wooden flooboards which have been varnished, but they need resecuring as some have come loose. However there are fairly sizable spaces between some of them.

I have a terrible phobia of mice and would therefore like to elimate the risk of any getting through. Whilst there is no reason for me to believe that there are mice in the area, i thought that this should be something i should do before moving all my stuff in.

Any ideas, on the best way to go about this? I thought that if i took up the boards, i could fix plywood or mdf to the actual floor beams and the replace the varnished floor boards on top?

Any help would be great!

Thanks
G

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:53 pm

G-G,
Depends on the gap between the boards. If the gap is no wider than a biro I would recommend you use some acrylic mastic to seal the gaps, any excess you get on the floorboards can be wiped off with a damp cloth.
If you decide to lift the floor you can just move the boards over to close the gaps. If its a ground floor with ventilated space underneath take the opportunity to install insulation.
end

Woody_Dude
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Woody_Dude » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:37 pm

One solution would be to sand some of the boards and collect the dust in a dust extractor, then use this to dye some adhesive such as or even a paper mashe type mix, it's a bit of a bodge but does work.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:59 pm

See the DIY Projects section on filling gaps in floorboards

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:47 pm

"However there are fairly sizable spaces between some of them."

How big is sizable?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:37 pm