Moving a Bad Hole in a Plasterboard Wall for Hanging a Mirror
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Toonloon
Labourer
Labourer

Moving a Bad Hole in a Plasterboard Wall for Hanging a Mirror

by Toonloon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi guys. I need some advice please. I'm trying to hang an 11kg mirror which comes with its own eye shaped brackets on the back.

I drilled two holes in the wall and put a cavity wall plug in there and tightened it and i think it expanded in the gap ok.

The other plug chewed the wall badly which made the hole too big so it's unusable.

I'm thinking the easiest solution is to drill a new hole lower on one side and move the corresponding bracket on the back of the mirror.

If I drill two new holes a couple of inches lower, the mirror will be badly placed.

Can anyone see any problem with my solution or have any better ideas please?

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Moving a Bad Hole in a Plasterboard Wall for Hanging a Mirror

by proptech » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:01 am

Hi
11 kg is a fair bit of weight. Yes your idea would probably work, but what is this wall made of ? If plasterboard on masonry there could be other ways. There are many different types of heavy duty fixings available, most needing a larger hole than a cavity plug.
So let's know what the wall is constructed of, and if possible details of the brackets.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:43 am

Hi, Have you sen our project page on fixing to plasterboard? Link below, hope it helps

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/fi ... rboard.htm

Toonloon
Labourer
Labourer

by Toonloon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:38 pm

I did thank you. Bit couldn't find an answer to my specific problem

I bought a new drill bit this morning and I plan to drill a hole 3.5 inches lower on the right and move the bracket on the mirror to line up with the new hole

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am