Moving a Loft Hatch....
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mdemetri2
Tradesman
Tradesman

Moving a Loft Hatch....

by mdemetri2 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:24 pm

Hello All

Ok, I'm looking to purchase a timber fold loft ladder, but in order to get it in will need to move the current loft hatch over more (as apposed to half over the landing and half over the stairs where it is currently) to over the landing.

My question is does it matter that I'm cutting other joists to get this in (I dont want the roof to come down!!), obvioulsy I will strengthen where I'm cutting into one joist, but whats the best way to do this?

I'm looking at the Hobby timber loft ladder like the one at Carlisle Glass (£30 cheaper than at Screwfix BTW).

Cheers! :D
mdemetri2

Chippe999
Apprentice
Apprentice

re moving a loft hatch

by Chippe999 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:43 pm

Hi, since your post was late October, perhaps you already have an answer to your dilema. Or, have gone ahead regardless.

Does it matter your cutting another joist? YES. In fact, if your joist turns out to be the bottom of a roof truss, then the situation is a lot more serious.

Joists are structural so cutting a joist affects the structural integrity of your house. However, joists can be "trimmed" to allow access between floors. There are building regulations regarding this procedure. Most construction carpentry books will show you how to go about it in theory. Cross joists to unite the cut ends with uncut joists will have to be introduced. (I am trying to employ logical and not technical terms like trimmed joist, trimmer joist etc) all connected using suitable 'hangers' or old fashioned tusk tenon joints.

If you have a truss roof (your roof is an engineered construction of timber, plate pinned together so that it resembles a meccano strutt and tie construction) never cut a truss.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm