Moving a radiator
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

Flying Dutchman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Moving a radiator

by Flying Dutchman » Sat May 19, 2007 5:20 pm

Hi there, I want to move a radiator from one wall in the lounge to the opposite wall. Can anyone give me some advise om how to go about this? Thanks very much.

bazza
Ganger
Ganger

by bazza » Sun May 20, 2007 5:34 pm

hi there are different ways to acheive this all depending on what floor covering you hav if lounge has floorboards you can simply extend the piping under floor or you cud run piping along skirting boards and then box the pipes in or tap into the flow and return in the room above and drop feed the pipes using mini trunkin im assuming you know how to drain system hope this helps

Flying Dutchman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Flying Dutchman » Mon May 21, 2007 10:28 am

Hi , thanks for fast reply.
Floor is floorboards so I can run pipes under floor, but what pipes and connectors do I use?
Heard about plastic flexible pipes.
I think I know how to drain the system.
Cheers FD

bazza
Ganger
Ganger

by bazza » Mon May 21, 2007 1:15 pm

hi fd again there are different ways: you cud use plastic or copper and there are different fittings ie: soldered/ compresion/ pushfit. u wud probably find pushfit the easiest which you can use on plastic or copper pipes but if you decide to use plastic REMEMBER U WILL NEED TO INSERT SLEEVES whether u use compression or pushfit fittings hope this helps

Flying Dutchman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Flying Dutchman » Tue May 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Hi thanks for that. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between compression and pushfit and what are sleeves for.
Probably will go for the flexi plastic pipes under the floorboards.
Thanks for your help so far.
Will try to do this over the bank holiday weekend, so will need as much info as I can get.
Any more handy tips for a job like this?
Cheers FD

bazza
Ganger
Ganger

by bazza » Tue May 22, 2007 10:16 pm

hi fd compression fittings simply tighten up using spanners but dont forget to fit the olive(a olive is the small metal ring that comes with the fitting ) they come in all sizes with pushfit u simply push the fitting on makin sure you fully insert the pipe the sleeves which are also known as pipe inserts theyare just small inserts that fit inside the pipe then you push the fitting over the pipe and insert.( remember inserts are purchased seperately from the fittings (be aware u need 2 inserts for every fitting u use)3 if using a tee but i cant imagine you wud need a tee. if u are going up to rad in plastic u wiil need a insert for each valve as well. also check wat size the pipework is to your central heating as pushfit only starts at 10mm so if pipework is less then this id go for compression fitting hope this makes sense to you i replied earlier but think i posted it incorrectley i waz in a rush so if u get both replies sorry hope this helps bazza

Flying Dutchman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Flying Dutchman » Wed May 23, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi bazza, thanks for that.
It is certainly is a lot clearer now.
Just tried to locate the drain valve on a radiator downstairs but there is none. Not on any of the radiators downstairs or upstairs. Any ideas?
Cheers FD

Flying Dutchman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Flying Dutchman » Wed May 23, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi bazza, me again,
pipes are 15mm. shall i do the easy way, pushfit, coz I am looking for the easy way.
Cheers FD

bazza
Ganger
Ganger

by bazza » Wed May 23, 2007 7:49 pm

hi fd is there a drainoff close to the boiler ie connected to one off the 22mm heating pies if not wat size piping is your central heating in

bazza
Ganger
Ganger

fd

by bazza » Wed May 23, 2007 10:02 pm

hi fd tried earlier to reply but pc is playing up abit check to see if there is a drainoff close to the boiler on one of the 22mm heating pipes if not wat size piping is your central heating in hope you get this message bazza

Flying Dutchman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Flying Dutchman » Thu May 24, 2007 4:48 pm

Hi bazza, thanks for reply. No there is no drain there either. Someone suggested to go 'live'. Just cut pipe and fit push fit on it when you are ready. As you can tell, I am a novice in plumbing, but will give it a try. Thanks for your help so far.

bazza
Ganger
Ganger

by bazza » Thu May 24, 2007 8:53 pm

hi fd as a novice cutting live is very brave of you:however wen you say your gonna cut it live and put a pushfit fitting on it wat exactly do you meen (do you meen fit isolating valves cause if you cut it live you will hav to stop the flow of water from flow and return pipes bazza

bazza
Ganger
Ganger

fd

by bazza » Thu May 24, 2007 9:10 pm

hi fd only just found ya message saying your central heating pipework is in 15mm id strongly suggest buying a self cutting drainoff and ataching it to a rad closest to a exit and then drain your system through that a lot safer then cutting it live mate bazza

Flying Dutchman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Flying Dutchman » Fri May 25, 2007 7:38 am

GM bazza
By going live I mean cutting the flow and return pipes under floorboards under radiator and fitting a temp. endstop till I'm ready to connect it all up again. Does this sound OK?
Someone also suggested not to cut the plastic pipe with a hacksaw. What is the reason behind this and what do I use to cut it with instead?
Cheers FD thanx for all your help do far.
Tommorrow is D-day!

bazza
Ganger
Ganger

by bazza » Fri May 25, 2007 4:54 pm

hi fd wat your suggesting can be done but if this is your first attempt at plumbing i wudnt reccomend it cause cutting live can be tricky (sometimes) id hav to say that getting a self cutting drainoff (if you cant get one you cud use a self cutting tap) and connecting it to a rad pipe and then draining system through a hose is much safer also wnen u connecting your new rad up id fit a valve with a built in drainoff for future maintainance. as for cutting plastic pipe you shud really use pipe cutters as the ends of the pipe need to be square and free from burr but if your CAREFUL. you can use a sharp stanley knife ( craft knife) to cut it but make sure ends are square as possible if you decide to cut live gud luck hope it all goes well for you bazza ps a self cutting drainoff/tap costs around £4