Moving an external door
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tonybull
Labourer
Labourer

Moving an external door

by tonybull » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:48 am

I have recenttly extended the living area of my house into a large garage. The plans which included moving the existing back door to another location were approved by building control in June 2004.
On the final building inspection this week the Inspector said that it had to be replaced by a double glazed door. When it waspointed out that this was approved in the original plans he said that they would have assumed that it was double glazed (even though the house is 30 years + old). There is no benefit to us in this as it enters into a utility room, only extra costs.
Any views on this? I think the regs on double glazing changed in 2006 but not sure - if so is there any leeway as the plans were paproved before this?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:40 pm

No matter when the plans were approved Tony, its when its built that counts and the building regulations on insulation and the new SAP (Standard Assesment Procedure) for ensuring as much energy as possible is saved from each dwelling means there is little leeway.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1