MOVING BOILER INTO BRICK SHED OUTSIDE HOUSE
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
katemcilwain
Apprentice
Apprentice

MOVING BOILER INTO BRICK SHED OUTSIDE HOUSE

Post by katemcilwain » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:34 pm

I own the ground floor flat of a Victorian house. I want to change my heating system and install a new boiler in a brick boiler shed outside the back of my extension to create more space. It will be up against the back wall of the extension and the garden wall. I want to be able to put my washing machine under it and some tools in the other side of the shed. The space is about 3ft by 6ft. Building control have just told me to do it and they will check it once done.. but I need to know how high I can build it, how many vents does it need and anything else. The flue will go out into my garden. Do I need permission from the Freeholder? The Council says Planning is not required. Thanks for your help. :?:

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:27 am

Your lease will tell you if you need permission from the freeholder. The bopiler manufacturers will tell you how the boiler needs to be vented. The biggest problem you may face is getting rid of the waster from the washing machine as it must go to your foul drainage system.

katemcilwain
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by katemcilwain » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:31 am

Thanks for that, I have just read my lease as it happens. The waste from the washing machine is not too much of a worry because it is only about 2 meters from where it is placed now. Do you know how high I can build the shed.. is it max. garden wall height allowed or less? Thanks for your help!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:49 pm

Its not only the washing machine that has waste to get rid of. By law you cannot fit anything other than a condensing boiler - without good reason (a point system will determine whether you're exempt) so the condensate pipe has to go to a drain or a purpose made soakaway.

The majority of combi boilers do not require any purpose made ventilation, if ventilation is a problem then you can buy a boiler that does not need vents.

How would you get the heating and hot water pipes to the house, without losing alot of heat to the ground (if buried) ? Can be done, but needs abit of thought.

property man
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by property man » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:53 am

max hight for an extension is 3mt with a flat roof and 4mt with a pitch roof
and must be under 70 meters cube this is classed as permited development

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:05 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:37 am