Moving Cables above Loft Insulation - Update on Solution
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Benchillian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Moving Cables above Loft Insulation - Update on Solution

Post by Benchillian » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:43 pm

After ericmark's response to my earlier thread, I read up on Reference Method 101. Never heard of Reference Methods before, being a simple DIY-er!

Apart from learning something new, it's changed my view.

Everything I'd read about loft insulation said that cables must be moved above it. And that 'professional' installers commonly couldn't be bothered to do it.

If I understand things correctly, then as per RM 101, I can safely put the 170mm insulation over the lighting cables, provided:

- I ensure that the load on any of the cables keeps well below 10.5A (by using low-wattage LED bulbs)
- I make sure there aren't other factors, such as cables grouped together, that would reduce heat dissipation further.

I have got a 6A MCB protecting the upstairs lighting.

As mentioned before, I'll move the immersion heater cable above the insulation, as there's enough slack to do it.

Is my understanding correct, and does that sound a sensible plan?

Is it safe and does it comply with wiring and building regulations?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Moving Cables above Loft Insulation - Update on Solution

Post by ericmark » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:21 am

That sounds OK, The reference methods come with pictures, and it shows how a cable clipped to even a wooden beam or pressed against plaster board that will help remove the heat. As long as not running through the centre of the insulation for lighting there is never a problem. Even through the centre with lighting using today's LED lamps there is no problem.

The problem is with sockets, immersion and shower cables.

Benchillian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Moving Cables above Loft Insulation - Update on Solution

Post by Benchillian » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:33 pm

Many thanks for this. Off to buy insulation in the morning!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:57 am