Moving Ceiling Rose but Ceiling Joist in the Way?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Harrison88
Labourer
Labourer

Moving Ceiling Rose but Ceiling Joist in the Way?

by Harrison88 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:29 am

Hi guys,

I am moving a ceiling rose around 50 cm to be above the dining table rather than in the middle of the room. Unfortunately I think it is the other side of a joist. The rose comes from a junction box so is an easy, single wire (new build house).

If there is a joist in the way, how do I get the wire across to the other side? At the moment the only hole is one around 1" wide for the existing wire. I think I might need to make this slightly bigger to accommodate a maintenance free junction box with the aim of extending the wire to the new location.

Will I need to make a hole big enough for my drill and drill through the joist? That would take a fair bit of replastering... Access from above will be difficult as it is all carpeted.

Cheers!

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Moving Ceiling Rose but Ceiling Joist in the Way?

by Mr White » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:56 pm

Lift the carpet, lift a floorboard or two, it will make for a better job and you can see exactly what needs to be done. (You may be able to pull the cable back, as opposed to extend it.) Either that or move the table.

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Moving Ceiling Rose but Ceiling Joist in the Way?

by Skid Sprocket » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:59 pm

If you cut a slot in the plaster board the full width of the joist plus room to push the junction box through and chisel out a groove in the joist to take the cable, (although not ideal because of the shallowness of the cable) it should then be a simple plaster/ filler job.

If it's a manufactured web joist be careful not to weaken the joist.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:47 am