Moving Consumer Unit location for Flat While Being Replaced

Postby davediydoc » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:35 pm

I am getting my consumer unit replaced and at present it is in the meter cupboard outside the front door of my second floor flat. Would it be acceptable to get it moved into the flat?
davediydoc
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:49 pm

There are times when we have to relocate a consumer unit. But this is a lot of work, often one has to put a junction box where the consumer unit was located and every cable has to be re-routed. In the main it is only done as a last resort when for example the wall where the consumer unit is located has to be knocked down or the location is no longer permitted like under the stairs.

Today consumer units need to be fire resistance and also RCD protected and as a result renewing one can be very expensive.
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!