Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jason1976
Labourer
Labourer

moving downstairs bathroom to upstairs soil pipe problem

by jason1976 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:49 pm

hi and thanks in advance for your help.
i have a three bedroom terraced house with a downstairs bathroom at the back of the house.
i would like to put this upstairs in the box room at the front of the property.
i have wooden floors downstairs and so i was thinking could i run a soil pipe under the downstairs flooring going up to this room or would it be better using a macarator
i have a drain to the rear of the property that i would like to use for this.
thanks in advance jason

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:32 pm

The best thing to do is put a new soil pipe in at the front of the house and then run all the bathroom wast pipes into it.

Things like sanflows are nothing but trouble.

jason1976
Labourer
Labourer

question for peter the plumber

by jason1976 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:53 pm

unfortunatly i cant run the waste pipe from the back of the house to the front without putting this pipe trough the house, under the floor boards. would this be ok to do? i do appreciate your time on this, thanks in advance jason

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:43 am

You do have the drain at the front of the house to use, at the moment its being used for rainwater removal. (Guttering)

You could find the manhole at the front of the house, and run a branch for the new soil pipe.

If there not one, then check the size of the guttering drain and see if it could be used or adapted.

jason1976
Labourer
Labourer

no drains

by jason1976 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:59 am

hi, thanks for the reply, i havnt got any drains to the front of my house, the guttering runs from one house to another, in blocks of four houses with the last having a drain, im the second house in this block so havnt got a drain to the front. the house is a mid teraced house any thurther help would be appriciated thanks in advance jason

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:59 am

Ok you have 2 options

First talk to the owner of the house with the manhole in their garden and get permission to run a new drain branch thru their land.

You need it in writing.

Then hire a min digger for the work, there about £80 to hire per day.

And run a new drain branch.

Or put a new internal soil stack in.

Both are hard work and you will need an extra pair of hands

I think you would be better off talking to your neighbour first, normally they don’t mind.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:20 am

Please be aware that it is illegal to run a soil pipe into a storm water drain under any circumstances and to make any alkterations to man drainage underground you need to notify the building control department of your local council. Drainage forms part of the building regulations as well as being noted on the deeds of your property. Do not just make changes willy nilly.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:50 am