Moving meter and new supplier
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mickweasel
Labourer
Labourer

Moving meter and new supplier

by mickweasel » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 am

I have bought a property in Scotland 1 year ago that has been unoccupied for a few years. I have finally got a building warrant to start work, until now I have done little with the property, but did take a meter reading when I purchased it.

It has mains power supplied by Scottish Power but they have no account for the property, and I don't know when they last did or what the meter reading was then. I would like the electricity meter moved about 400mm and when I contacted them about this I was told I would have to set up an account with them first. I was not planning on having an account with them but intended setting up one with another provider. I am concerned there may be an outstanding bill on this meter that I may be billed for.

Can I get another electrical company to move the meter or is it the property of the main supplier? I have had various suggestions for cost, if I set up an account with Scottish Power are they likely to charge less for moving the meter? They won't discuss it with me until I register with them but I don't want to be hit with a big bill if I can avoid it.

Thanks for any advice

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:21 am

There are very few supply authorities although many billing agents I think you will find British gas fit their own meters and are a supply authority as to if they do your area I don't know. And the meter belongs to the supply authority and even if British gas fit a new meter I would suspect they will return the old one to Scottish power. So if money is owed then you may still get a bill. Not sure if there are any more supply authorities only know about British gas because my son worked for United Utilities changing meters as it seems Scottish Power was charging British gas to use their meters.

thebird44
Apprentice
Apprentice

by thebird44 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:50 pm

Hi,

I used to work for the Electric Board when everything was split up so may be able to shed some more light on to your problem.

The electric (and gas) industry was split between supply side (i.e British Gas,npower) and the distribution side (they own the meters and cables).

Each regional electricity board maintained there own patch with regards to distribution but the supply side could obtain customers from anywhere. Each meter position will have a MPAN (meter point access number). This would appear on any bills from a supplier, but is not your account number. All MPAN's are created and maintained by the distributer. If you don't have this you can contact the distributor. A lot of the distributors have changed names so many times that i cant keep up with them, so you can either search the web or speak to OFGEM who should give you the number of the your regional distributor to find out this number.

The only problem i can forsee is that we wouldn't do work to a meter position unless a supplier asked us to (unless for safety or recertification purposes) so you may have to register with a supplier first. Also - does the service head (Main fuse cut out) need moving (this may require a jointer)

Hope i haven't waffled on to much and the info helps a little

good luck

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:29 pm