moving my consumer unit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
realrabbit
Labourer
Labourer

moving my consumer unit

by realrabbit » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:49 pm

Hi, I am having my integral garage turned into a utility room and a gym.
I would like to move my consumer unit further along the wall so it is in the utility room rather than the gym is this possible? thanks

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:00 am

Hi

Have you had a look at the DIY Projects section of this site: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm There are numerous projects relating to electics and consumer units that may be of some use to you.

Regards

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:35 am

Possible yes but it is likely to be very costly.
The new BS7671:2008 regulations would need to be followed which would mean most likely a new consumer unit. Plus any faults in the house would be high lighted and it could easy escalate into a very costly exercise.
It is not a DIY job especially if multi cable joints would be required and cables ripped out of the wall and re-routed through the new permitted zone above the new consumer unit and that’s not considering the supply cables and possible involvement of the supply authority.
I would get a registered spark who is able to issue a building control completion certificate to quote for the work and expect something around a grand any quote under £250 be very weary as the consumer unit costs £100 plus. Of course I have not seen your house and it may be a lot easier than I am thinking but better if you are aware.
Eric

mraich
Ganger
Ganger

Consumer Unit

by mraich » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:22 pm

[quote="ericmark"]Possible yes but it is likely to be very costly.
The new BS7671:2008 regulations would need to be followed which would mean most likely a new consumer unit. Plus any faults in the house would be high lighted and it could easy escalate into a very costly exercise.
It is not a DIY job especially if multi cable joints would be required and cables ripped out of the wall and re-routed through the new permitted zone above the new consumer unit and that’s not considering the supply cables and possible involvement of the supply authority.
I would get a registered spark who is able to issue a building control completion certificate to quote for the work and expect something around a grand any quote under £250 be very weary as the consumer unit costs £100 plus. Of course I have not seen your house and it may be a lot easier than I am thinking but better if you are aware.
Eric[/quote]
Hi Ericmark. It has been some time since I have visited this site and recall your very helpful guidance back then. Just want to say that I had a new consumer unit installed recently (around £500). Yesterday I received the Electrical Installation Work Certificate of Compliance. At the bottom of the certificate it says "NICEIC does not accept any responsibility for the content of this certificate or the quality of the work described." Why do they bother?
P.S. What is your opinion on Kalirel Electric Radiators?
Thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:41 pm

mraich thank you for your reply. Was the change before or after July 1st i.e. was it to old BS7671:2001 or new BS7671:2008? I think prices have changed on 1st July as requirements now higher.
As to Kalirel Electric Radiators? I have already given my thoughts.
As to why bother:-
Easier to sell house.
Easier to claim on insurance.
The chance of a rouge trader is much reduced. Although the responsibility to do the work correctly is still down to the electrician he/she will be checked from time to time to ensure they are getting it right.
In the past I have found electricians making mistakes for example testing earths rods with earth wires still connected and they have been making same mistake for years and didn't even realise they were making a mistake. But with the Part P these types of mistake are found and corrected and the general standard is now a lot higher.
I for years when filling in test reports entered the PSC and ELI without ever checking if the values passed and relied on my boss to do that who in turn relied on me picking up any errors only when I became the boss did I start looking at the results hopefully this now has all changed. I use a spread sheet in my PDA would be interesting to see how others check their results.
Eric

mraich
Ganger
Ganger

Consumer Unit

by mraich » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:50 pm

[quote="ericmark"]mraich thank you for your reply. Was the change before or after July 1st i.e. was it to old BS7671:2001 or new BS7671:2008? I think prices have changed on 1st July as requirements now higher.
As to Kalirel Electric Radiators? I have already given my thoughts.
As to why bother:-
Easier to sell house.
Easier to claim on insurance.
The chance of a rouge trader is much reduced. Although the responsibility to do the work correctly is still down to the electrician he/she will be checked from time to time to ensure they are getting it right.
In the past I have found electricians making mistakes for example testing earths rods with earth wires still connected and they have been making same mistake for years and didn't even realise they were making a mistake. But with the Part P these types of mistake are found and corrected and the general standard is now a lot higher.
I for years when filling in test reports entered the PSC and ELI without ever checking if the values passed and relied on my boss to do that who in turn relied on me picking up any errors only when I became the boss did I start looking at the results hopefully this now has all changed. I use a spread sheet in my PDA would be interesting to see how others check their results.
Eric[/quote]
Thanks again, Eric. The installation of my Consumer Unit was AFTER 1 July this year and I specified that I wanted it to meet the latest standards. I am happy with the electrician who did it. He in turn was inspected at my house after the job was complete and he passed. As to the issuing of these certificates, it makes you wonder why. A bit like the car MOT, which doesn't mean your car is mechanically safe. Strange!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:38 am