multiple socket outlets in new kitchen
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mikeymoon2
Labourer
Labourer

multiple socket outlets in new kitchen

Post by mikeymoon2 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:38 am

I am planning a new ring main in my kitchen but want to avoid lots of individual (double) switched sockets. What is the best way to do this? Can I buy multiple outlets with e.g. four or more sockets in each one (I cannot find any on the internet that aren't on extension leads). Some appliances are connected permanently (e.g. ignition for gas hob) - should these be connected via plugs into switched sockets (then they can be isolated completely from the system if necessary) or on fused outlets. Advice please!
Thanks!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:12 am

Because the standard spur, radial, or ring main needs the plugs fuse to limit the output un-fused sockets are limited to two outlets. However there are some fused sockets on the market which have three or more outlets.

Using dado trunking one can have sockets wall to wall and easy remove and add sockets. Some trunking even has it all pre-wired so once fitted in a kitchen and Part P is satisfied I read it as sockets could be fitted and removed at will since it is part of pre-wired system. But please check on that.

As to sockets v switched connection units it would depend on if it needs to be removed for maintenance. Washing machines tend to be plugged in so they can be taken outside to work on.

Anything over 2Kw and fixed should have it's own supply. However since a Kitchen comes under Part P and the LABC charges are so high in real terms you will need a registered electrician and seeing the kitchen he is likely to give far better advice than anyone can give on a remote forum especially where pictures are not allowed.

Dado trunking is expensive and as a result however ideal it may seem it is likely you will not want it. I have many times connected two three way boxes together for TV or Kitchen use with tube nuts and the like.

Screwfix do a 1G to 4G Sw Skt Converter which gives 4 outlets and MK 13A 3G DP Sw Skt which has three outlets you will note both have fuses built into sockets.

Washing machines will likely be feed from 20A grid switch as should weights come lose you will not get near it to switch off and some remote switch is really required. Normally any other under counter appliance will also be switched from above or have those flip covers that allow plugs to be feed through and then dropped back.

mikeymoon2
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mikeymoon2 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:49 pm

ericmark - thanks for your very good and comprehensive advice! Looks like another screwfix order!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:38 am

Just found this Google "powerdatamanagement.co.uk/index.php/grommets/ackermann-grommets/c_63.html" does these help?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:44 pm