Multistrand versus single conductor cables

Postby Dadwood » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:57 pm

I ask this question purely out of curiosity. My house is 40 years old and the 13amp ring circuits are wired with multistrand cables. Are today's new houses still wired with multistrand? Or is single conductor cable used these days? When comparing single and multistrand cables of the same size, is one better than the other, or are they equally good?
Dadwood
Progress to next rank:
9.3%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:42 am

not much difference, stranded more flexible, need to be careful when terminating that all the conductor is inside terminal. Slight different factors when running over short distance in conduit.
but as far as the domestic side not really to much difference. As solid core only found in the smaller CSA cables
KB
kbrownie

Postby Dadwood » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:10 am

Hi kbrownie,
Thank you for taking the time to explain that for me. Kind regards, Dadwood.
Dadwood
Progress to next rank:
9.3%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!