Musty Smell in Garage Convereted to Study
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
itsbrokenagain
Labourer
Labourer

Musty Smell in Garage Convereted to Study

Post by itsbrokenagain » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:34 am

Hello all

I wonder if any of you might please cast some light on an issue i have? I would really appreciate some advice as its doing my head in!

I have a modern small detached house (1997), it had a garage below one of the bedrooms integral to the house, which was at some point before i moved in two years ago converted to be a study. garage door removed, plaster and insulation and ceiling added etc (and concrete floor raised).

Last summer, and it has started to repeat this summer, whenever it rained, or humidity is high, i get a fairly strong musty smell in this study. Nothing appears to be wet or damp, i can see no mould. The carpet is new and so is the furniture. When the carpet was replaced there was no sign underneath of any damp.

I only get this musty smell in this study, and sometimes less strongly in the adjoining kitchen.

It doesnt happen at all in the winter, only seems to be in the summer when the humidity is high.

Is this a mould issue? Does anyone have any advice on what the cause might be or how i can remediate this?

Many thanks in advance!!

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:45 am