my hot water tank keeps blowing the timer...why?
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
zuluheadgehog
Labourer
Labourer

my hot water tank keeps blowing the timer...why?

by zuluheadgehog » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:17 pm

on my heater ive replaced ...THE TIMER.....THE HEATING COIL (thingy)...THE CABLE (leading from timer to the cilinder) and it keeps blowing my fuse box.... why???? ive noticed it looks like its on the earth that it trips on but i dont have a clue why.[/b]

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:58 pm

Hi I take it we are talking abt an immersion heater?
as you appear to have replaced all of it then it must be a connection problem!
The prob. would seem to be the connections to the heater element, it should have Brown flex core to the thermostat the other side of which has a short link wire to one end of the heating element, the other end of the element should have the Blue of the flex to it & the grn/yel earth flex core should go to the stud either on the base of flange or more often on the stud which also holds the cover on?
From comments make sure when cover refitted it does not trap any wires against earth stud.
timers vary a lot but basically loop the neutral & break the Live as per a normal sw. does the MCB trip only when timer switches on?
more info please SPARX

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:31 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:17 am