My mums 13amp sockets are too low
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fedupwithjunk
Labourer
Labourer

My mums 13amp sockets are too low

Post by fedupwithjunk » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:07 pm

My mum is nearly 80 and is finding it difficult to bend down to reach sockets installed just above the skirting in the living room. :cry:

She has had one or two bad experiences with trademen so I said I thought I might be able to do it and the quickest way would be to use a bit of trunking and external patresses which would be easily removable if the next owner of the house didn't want sockets 2ft up the wall.

The plan was to take a single cable from the existing socket (I need to check if its a ring main) to two new sockets one either side of her sofa. The uglyness of it will be hidden by the sofa :)

A new CU was fitted 10 yrs ago with 30mA RCD so circuit look like it is protected well enough.

A quick scan of the regs makes me think it would be ok to extend the existing socket without LABC notification, is that correct?[/code]

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi, IMHO it's not notifiable work but you are only allowed one single or double socket per unfused spur from ring.
If the existing socket is a single then just change it to an unswitched fused spur then you can run as many sockets from it as you need as total load on cable can only be 13A.
If it's a double then easiest way would be to wire from existing socket through a surface fused spur above/next to it, then run from that as described to your new unlimited number of outlets,
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:53 pm