Need a thicker door!
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SmashBangWallop
Labourer
Labourer

Need a thicker door!

Post by SmashBangWallop » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:54 pm

Hello

I'm doing a bit of home security-improvement, been to 2 local timber yards, DIY shop to DIY shop, no luck whatsoever

I'm looking for a plain, solid, hardwood door, normal dimensions, but 3 INCHES THICK

Why is this so hard to get? Where can I get a door that thick?

Any help, would be greatly appreciated

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:13 pm

couldn't you just get two 35mm doors and bolt them together? :o)

the reason that they are so difficult to find is that there isn't the demand.

a three inch thick hardwood door is going to weigh a fair bit and would need substantial fixings and an even more substantial frame.

have you considered making one or getting one made? be sure to check that your frame will take the weight and strain first though.

SmashBangWallop
Labourer
Labourer

Post by SmashBangWallop » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi mate thanks for the reply, yes I'm aware I'm going to need to strengthen my frame, how would I go about that? Would I just use bigger screws than normal to fix the frame to the wall? What size screws would you reccomend for maximum strength? Would you use rawl plugs or just drill them in?

I'm planning on having a full-length hinge for maximum security, heavy duty too so I'm confident it would support a heavy door, also the 2 doors together thing is what what I'm probably going to have to do

Do you mean get the door made or have the 2 doors bolted together made? I wouldn't know who to ask for a thicker door if the timber yard can't help, I assumed that's where they made them?

My materials knowledge is very limited I'm afraid so I do come accross as a complete novice

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:50 pm