need help with outside security light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
woodspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

need help with outside security light

by woodspirit » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:53 pm

hello,

I had a firm put up a security light, charge me £140 for it, too complicated to use, 500w! so bright I am worried about overhead planes and it comes on so much I had to turn it off last October!, they would not remove it when asked. wont be asking them back again!.

So, if I took it down and put a simple 150w or 100 w in its place, do these little security lights have instructions in the box or can anyone point me in the direction of a You Tube video of a diagram?, much appreciated
yours exasperated, a second runway for newcastle airport.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: need help with outside security light

by htg engineer » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:28 pm

They are bright to light up the area so you can see people if they're lurking about at the bottom of your garden, as the amount of times it comes on, it'll just need adjusting - is it picking up a tree or bush moving in the wind.

Surely you can just change the bulb?

htg

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Reading BR_PDF_ADL1B_2006.pdf I note page 21 under Fixed external lighting for a dwelling the max watts are 150 unless it complies with 40 lumens per circuit-watt.

So it would seem your right it does not comply with the regulations.

As to changing bulb the halogen lamp works because of the temperature of the envelope so under about 300 W it just would not get hot enough so it is a case of changing the whole fitting.

In first instance I would be contacting the people who fitted it and would claim I have received complaints where it was pointed out it did not comply and will they please change it.

woodspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

by woodspirit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:56 pm

hello erichmark,

I sent for instructions for this light from the firm who fitted it, it is a powerful EH 283 500.w floodlight, a bit of a beast and difficult to get right , not only that , they had they damn cheek to send a quote for £35to change the bulb !!, I do not believe these people , there is no reasoning with them, I have tried to get them out to change it.
I have just given up and bought a cheap one and I will get some member of my family to fit that.

These people service my alarm each year, I would like to know if it is possible to get someone else to do it?.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:51 pm

To get an alarm monitored it has to be serviced by a member of some scheme so with alarms often very few options.

There are many alarms and some are far better then others. With telemetry as well as using a monitoring company it can be set to ring other phones like ones own mobile phone. But as to what good that is I don't know.

Many firms now insist that before they will respond two independent PIR's need to be activated so new alarms have zones and each room will have two PIR's each activating a separate zone. Even so my son worked for an alarm company and he had to respond on his own and in most cases it was an alarm fault not an intruder and since my son did not want to meet the intruder he would not get there too quickly. So in real terms the monitoring did nothing. If he found there was an intruder he called Police by the time they got there all that could be done was generate a crime number.

However some insurance companies insist on alarms being monitored. There seems to be no real sense I wanted my father-in-law's alarm who lives next door but one to ring my phone but insurance would not allow it.

Often you will find the existing company will continue to work with you but would not take you on as a new customer without fitting a new alarm.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:18 am