need help with soundprrofing
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
veerurad
Labourer
Labourer

need help with soundprrofing

by veerurad » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:22 pm

We have a an oak floor. The neighbours downstairs are complaining about the noise. The floor is fitted and I do not want to lift it. I want to lay underlay and then carpet to help them but what I want to find out is what material/product I can lay under the the underlay to help absorb the sound. If possible could I find out what type of matting I can use so that you will not feel through the underlay and carpet and where to buy it from. Also if you know how much percentage wise it will reduce the sound by. Anyhelp here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bobby

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:44 pm

I would suggest that first of all you ask the people downstairs to let you sit in the room while your partner walks about upstairs, and then swap places. So that you can hear for yourself how bad the problem is.
Then go on the net and look at the multitude of firms selling all sorts of sound deadening products.
And see what takes your fancy.
There are Government regulations now, regarding impact noise insulation.
See online.
However, people who do not know the regulations have been known to take up the insulation and fit wood floors - to the resulting distress to those downstairs.
Please, do check how bad the noise is before doing anything.
Note: In my previous home, we had treble glazing and all sorts of insulation and we kept our windows closed- this made our home very quiet, the people next door always had their windows open and the noise from the traffic caused them to shout, to be heard above the noise. They also held shouted conversations from the garden to the people indoors.
Take this into account, background noise is an important consideration when trying to judge noise levels.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:27 pm