Need More Torque for Driving Screws in to Wall for Shelf
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
microlambert
Labourer
Labourer

Need More Torque for Driving Screws in to Wall for Shelf

by microlambert » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:58 am

I put up some shelves at the weekend, and had a tough time driving the screws into the wall plugs (drilled a 6 mm hole in the masonry, then used brown wall plugs and #8 screws). I got there in the end, but not without lots of effort and blisters on my screwdriver hand.

Is there a way of getting more torque for jobs like this? I have an electric screwdriver, but it wouldn’t get any purchase on the screws. Seems like some sort of ratchet arm would be perfect, as long as I could still put enough pressure on it in the direction of the screw to keep the bit engaged. I’ve also seen T-handle screwdrivers, and drivers with a hex addition to the shaft so you can get extra torque with a spanner. What’s best?

(It might be that I was using wall plugs that were too big, but the screws went in eventually, and I’m pleased with how secure they seem.)

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Need More Torque for Driving Screws in to Wall for Shelf

by welsh brickie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:19 pm

With brown plugs you need to drill a 7mm hole, that's why the screws were so tight

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:44 am