NEED SOME ADVICE ON HOW TO CONTROL WEEDS OVER NEW TURF
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rocky09
Labourer
Labourer

NEED SOME ADVICE ON HOW TO CONTROL WEEDS OVER NEW TURF

by rocky09 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:31 pm

Currently my garden is like a country side park, with weeds and grass growing tall. When I bought this property 4 years ago there were so many plants, shrubs and trees growing all over the place that I could not see where end of my garden was and hence decided to clear out all and start again but never got around doing it until now. Finally, I want to sort out the garden but as the ground is very uneven with lots of weeds growing everywhere hence I'm worried by putting in new turf the weeds will start growing through them.

I've therefore decided to remove apprx. 15 to 20cm layer of top soil first and spray the ground with weed killer. I was than intending to put down a permeable landscape fabric to control weed growth with a 75mm layer of re-claimed soil on top. On top of that I was intending to put down apprx. 50mm good quality top soil before laying the turf. I'd like to get some advice on this as I'm little unsure if the above build-up is achievable?

numpty1979
Apprentice
Apprentice

by numpty1979 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:24 pm

When I moved into my house my backgarden was one enormous mass of weeds. All I did was dig the lot up and painstakingly sift out the roots from the weeds by hand. I then leveled it all out and laid the turf over the top. Worked a treat.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:30 am