Neighbours Concern Over Loadbearing Wall for Loft Conversion

Postby katiesdad » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:08 am

A normal, simple loft conversion, in a two storey, mid terrace, first floor flat, no dormers, just new floor joists running from front to middle, to the back load bearing walls. Planning and B Regs approved. Independent Engineer assessed and approved with no problems. BUT now the owner of the ground floor flat is concerned that the brick built 4” middle wall of the house will collapse under the extra load!! They have asked for me to provide a structural engineer to guarantee that the wall will be OK. There are no cracks anywhere on the whole building. How can someone who is qualified or not, guarantee something they have no control over? Please can anyone help me get around the hypothetical problem? Everyone I speak to say that this is a ridiculous request, as this type of work is done on a daily basis. On the other hand, can I pay for a one-off insurance to cover this possible eventuality?
katiesdad
Progress to next rank:
26.9%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:42 pm

you have approval and the beam calculated tell him that, Ignore anything else he says
welsh brickie

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!