Neighbours garage extension
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
koz
Labourer
Labourer

Neighbours garage extension

Post by koz » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:33 pm

Hi I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice. My neighbour has told me that he is planning to extend his twin garages at the side of his house by 8 foot. I have a detached house and the said garages are at present in line with the rest of his house and setback from the side window to my lounge. The side window will be totally blocked should this extension go ahead. I stand to lose a tremendous amount of light to my 30 x 15 foot louge. I will only be left with a small window at the front of the lounge to gain natural light from. I have told him about my predicament nicely but he says he will carry on regardless. I need some pointers in what I should do next and how to put relevant points forward when the time comes to object to planning. Also will my neighbour need to seek a party wall agreement with me as the proposed extension runs on our boundary wall. I would be most grateful of any feedback. Thanks

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

Post by arbco » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:11 pm

If your nieghbour requires planning then you will be written to by the L.A and have a chance to object. The planning depertment do not necessarily consider right of light etc. but you can make the point as it may be considered overdevelopment?? With regard to the party wall if the new foundations are lower than yours on the boundary then a party wall agreement would be apply, but would not help you in terms of blocking your window. From what you say the garage would be over 30m2 and require Building regulations but these would not consider obscuring your window, only in terms of fire spread.

koz
Labourer
Labourer

Post by koz » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:11 am

Thanks for your time arbco. I have since found out that my neighbour has already had one application refused back in 99 for the same work. Should I quote the same reasons that the council did when I object to his new application? They cited reasons such as loss of light, overuse of building, height,appearance, nearness to my building, and conflicting the 45 degree code. What do you suggest?

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

Post by arbco » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:45 pm

The Council will no doubt have a system that should tell them of the previous application but reminding them will not hurt! Can't really give any more advice as your nieghbour will have to apply and you will be in the hands of the planning officer/committee. If you object it will probably go to the committee, check to see if your local councillor sits on it and speak to him/her.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

Post by ALDA » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:29 pm

KOZ,

IN MY AREA, ADDING A NEW GARAGE OR EXTENDING AN EXISTING ONE IS A NO NO IF, THE SAID GARAGE ENDS UP CLOSER THAN 5 METRES TO THE HIGHWAY/FOOTPATH/TRACK.

MIGHT BE WORTHWHILE RESEARCHING WETHER A SIMILAR RULING STANDS WHERE YOU LIVE.

IF IT DOES, AND THE PROPOSED GARAGE EXTENTION IS BREECHING THIS CONDITION, THEN BUILDING CONTROL/PLANNING WILL AUTOMATICALLY REJECT PROPOSAL ON THESE GROUNDS.

THERES HOPE YET!

ALDA.

koz
Labourer
Labourer

Post by koz » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:31 pm

Thanks Alda

I will try and find out if this ruling exists in my area.....pls god hope it does! Will keep u informed thanks once again.

Koz

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1