neighbours loft conversion
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
muckylugs
Labourer
Labourer

neighbours loft conversion

Post by muckylugs » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:57 am

hi - our next door neighbours are thinking of having a loft conversion. problem is, our house is taller than their and their loft is right up against our bedroom walls. when they're in the loft the noise is horrendous and you can hear every word of their conversations. i'm a nervous wreck about what the nosie is going to be like once its converted. via building regs, do they need to soundproof the loft or do something about potential noise problems (our planning office has confirmed that they do not need planning permission).
many thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

planning permission

Post by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:05 pm

who told you they dont need planning permission?????
When converting any storage space into a habitable space you always need planning permission.
Contact the building control officer at your local council and voice your
concerns,They are there to help

muckylugs
Labourer
Labourer

Post by muckylugs » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:29 am

hi - thanks for your reply. unfortunately my local council has confirmed that unless they are installing a dormer window (which i dont think they are) - they wont need planning permission.
i presume they are still controlled by building regs though - so this may be the only safeguard (and possibly the party wall act??- can anyone confirm this?)
again, many thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

building regs

Post by welsh brickie » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:23 am

Building regs are there to ensure that the alteration conforms to all current laws.
Sound insulation being one of them,Why not contact the neighbours and explain the situation they might insulate the wall more than required.

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

Post by LCL » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:36 pm

muckylugs

To clear up a small point, the planners control what you can build and where and building control will ensure it is built to comply with the building regs, so although it is quite feasible that planning consent is not required, building regs certainly are.

Part E of the building regulations is the main governing regulation. This should require the adjoining owners to sound proof the party wall from their side as they are creating new habitable space.

The Party Wall etc Act will apply if they are changing the load bearing charactaristics of the party wall or are proposing to cut into it.

Hope this helps

LCL

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1