neighbours shed connected to my property
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
carriesue
Labourer
Labourer

neighbours shed connected to my property

by carriesue » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:35 pm

There is a garage in my neighbours garden. It is constructed of three walls of timber and the asphalt roofing is connected to the outside wall of my property. It is very old and has been there for over 20 years. I have had no problems until the beginning of the year when I have noticed damp on the inside of the wall which is worsening when it rains.
I have contacted the owner (as the neighbours are renting) and their builder has informed me that the damp is my problem and that I will be allowed access into the shed to repair the wall. He also stated that he can do what he wants in his garden and that it is too late for me to complain as there are new regulations.
Even if I do repair the wall it is not going to solve the problem long term.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :roll:

chrisy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by chrisy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:44 pm

It sounds like they are calling your bluff.

I would suggest you write back saying that the attached garage roof is the source of the damp problem.

Firstly can they produce evidence that a former owner gave permission for the garage roof to be attached to the property.

Secondly your builder has advised that to cure the damp problem the garage roof needs to be detached from your property, and unless they can produce the above documentation within a set time line then this is how you will proceed.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1