Neutrals joined in lightswitch boxes.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fellwalker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Neutrals joined in lightswitch boxes.

by Fellwalker » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Our house was built in the early 1970s wired with PVC cable in good condition, obviously red/black wires. However the electrical contractors at the time joined neutral wires in lightswitch boxes. This has not been done or modified by amateur or home owner. This is not the normal or present way of wiring lighting circuits!! Can this be left rather then having major rewiring with considerable decoration repairs after the work.
Regards to all.

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:38 am

I have seem many modern houses with neutrals connected in the switch where down lighters are used and there are as a result no ceiling roses to make connections in.
I see no reason to change the arrangement you have.
Hardly any houses comply with latest regulations and I see no reason to up date just for sake of up dating.
Yes up grading will make things safer but I would only do it when doing some other work requiring it.

andrewap
Labourer
Labourer

Neautral conductors joing in ligtswitch

by andrewap » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:52 am

Hi

Think of the backbox as a junction box, as long as the joints are accessible, identified and the joints are constructed properly there is no need to worry, the reason why electricians sometimes run the loop to the lightswitch is because it can be more cost / labour effective. if your in the trade you will know what it is like to be standing up a ladder trying toget many wires into some fancy new light fitting that was designed in europe. hope this helped

Fellwalker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Neutrals joined in lightswitch backboxes

by Fellwalker » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:48 pm

Thanks to ericmark and andrewap for taking the trouble to give your advice about neutrals connected in lightswitch wall backboxes . Much appreciated.
Regards, Paul

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:21 pm