Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scotsmart
Apprentice
Apprentice

new bare country cottage garden?

by scotsmart » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi gang
Im hoping someone can suggest an affordable solution to how to with little or no cost we can gain in total 410ft of hedging with which to bound our property where nothing or very little now exists, we have an very close to totally bear garden front, back and side as it goes (the previous tenant for some unknown reason decided to badly attack, hack and remove the front hedge ?) with-in the entire quite large garden we have only a total of around six megre equally hacked away shrubs? and the rear has only very uneven grass the remaining front garden is a path to the front door and mud.......

So im hoping for suggestions on how to obtain cuttings, plants and such like with the idea of constructing a quaint country cottage garden with architypal rosearch round the frontdoor..... im not entirely confident i have the required skills to be able to take cuttings so essentially require a "dummies guide to taking cuttings" i really need a clear consise step by step guide if anyone can suggest one? starting with the privet we already have after which they will be hopefully in as much as is possibly regrown to attempt to form a well kept front boundary and in part windbreak all at the sametime!

So my friends any help or assistance that could lead me to sources of rooted cuttings, suitable seeds or any type of plant at all that is likely to be able to grow in the far western coastal areas of Scotland as windy as it often can be...

Thanking you in advance of any and all suggestions

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: new bare country cottage garden?

by stoneyboy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:31 pm

scotsmart,
Don't bother with cuttings they'll take forever to establish.
If you can find a local nursery buy a range of bare root hedging plants. If you can't find one look on line for bare root hedging plants.
end

scotsmart
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: new bare country cottage garden?

by scotsmart » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:26 pm

yeah ive costed these and were looking at many hundreds for the required area we need to cover hence me asking about cuttings ? thanks anyway for your post though ...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 am