New boiler for a one pipe system
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Glen Thomas
Labourer
Labourer

New boiler for a one pipe system

by Glen Thomas » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:34 pm

My old boiler is a 25yr old Glowworm 45-60 standard boiler (which is still working, if expensive), on a one pipe system, with copper tank in the airing cupboard. Can I replace it with a new more efficient condensing boiler without changing my piping system? I have 12 radiators but usually 4 or 5 are not in use. What type should I be looking at?
Glen

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:12 am

You really need to think carefully about keeping the existing one pipe system. Sure, you could just replace the boiler and continue as you are but the single pipe is never going to make the most of the modern high output boilers. In fact, it is almost certainly reduce its efficiency.

Any decision may become clearer once you have decided which type of system to opt for. The easiest option is to replace the boiler you have and keep the hot water cylinder. Apart perhaps for a few TRV's it could be as simple as that.

If a pressurised system such as a combi or unvented stored water is chosen then it is a different ball game. The amount of changes required must put an upgrade only half a step away and whose to say the 40 year old pipework is up to the task anyway?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1