new build bricks
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hoppybopm
Labourer
Labourer

new build bricks

by hoppybopm » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:59 am

hi every one. my problem is i have had my new house now for 2 years . the house its self was 3 month old when we bought it. but latley some bricks have started to crumble in diffrent places around the house,garage and my wall around the garden.i have notice this on sevrel propertes around me (all new build)help please

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:56 pm

hoppybopm,
Depends how bad the problem is, its called spalling and generally affects bricks which were fired at a lower temperature. You could try contacting NHBC or whoever guaranteed your home but I doubt you will get much sympathy without a surveyors report.
end

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:29 am

lesson here is don't buy new build! greedy property developers are only interested in maximising their profits and if that means using low grade, cheap materials they will. long as it looks nice when you come to view and don't really know what you are looking at then job done as far as they are concerned.

your home is your single biggest investment and all too many developers seem to prey on the naivety of the uninitiated. it's wrong in my opinion, i see it all around me where i live, flats and houses going up all around me and none of them worth a fraction of the asking price.

as has been advised get a survey you may be able to hold the developer accountable but frankly i doubt it.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:57 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:16 am