New Carpet About to be Installed Should I Also Have Floorboards Looked at?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DeeBee
Labourer
Labourer

New Carpet About to be Installed Should I Also Have Floorboards Looked at?

Post by DeeBee » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:48 pm

When I tap my hand on the existing carpet I hear different sounds coming from the floorboards depending on where I tap.

The property is Victorian, built in about 1890, so is this quite normal? Are these range of sounds (ranging from just the sound of the carpet itself to a vibrating sound) due to whether the nails/screws are right, and whether there could be cracks in the boards or around the nails/screws?

On replacing the carpet should I get a joiner to take a look at the floorboards to see whether any maintenance/repairs is required?

One other thing, when vinyl was fitted in the kitchen there were creases in a couple of areas - the fitters said that they would go away. I rented the flat out for a couple of years, but it turns out that these creases are still there, but the company from whom I bought the vinyl has since gone bust.

Is this easy enough to get sorted given that they have been there since the vinyl was laid?

Thanks in advance.

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: New Carpet About to be Installed Should I Also Have Floorboards Looked at?

Post by lets have a look » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:19 am

It doesn't sound anything drastic,if it doesn't bother you leave it,if you get a joiner he might feel obliged to find a problem and start taking up floorboards which could turn out to be costly,I would wait until you fit a new carpet,take up the old one a few days before to see the condition underneath.

As for the vinyl,I am not an expert but would have complained straight away,there should never be a ripple in vinyl or a carpet when laid new.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:52 pm