new ceiling light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mike hunt
Labourer
Labourer

new ceiling light

by mike hunt » Sat May 12, 2007 12:55 pm

hi , doh,

fitting new ceiling light to dowstairs passage , which operates from a double switch (one switch for upstairs landing) stupidly i never made a note of the wires i usualy take a photo with mobile.

i have three cables , two with standard red wire, green/yellow earth and dark blue wires but the third has a red , earth light blue and a yellow wire

i know the three earths go together, the three reds together, the two dark blues went together but cannot remember where the light blue and the yellow went

any ideas , pics would be very handy :cry: :cry: :cry: [color=darkred][/color][size=18][/size]

Arnak
Tradesman
Tradesman

Light switch.

by Arnak » Sun May 13, 2007 12:33 pm

Hi,

This is going to be difficult without pictures but here goes :-

Switch 1

Link to other switch cable, Red to common

Yellow and switch cable red to L1

Blue and black with a red tag ( this is the switch return to L2)
(The black could also be blue depending on the wiring colours)

Switch 2

Link cable - red to common

Yellow cable to L1

Blue cable to L2

The ideal way to be sure is to get a book, I believe they sell one on this site.

[b]If in doubt get an electrician in as it will be a lot safer.[/b]

The usual disclaimer applies, this is how it is normally done but in each case it can vary depending on who wired it in the first place.

Arnak

At Diydoctor we must confirm the statement above. If you are in any way unsure of the correct procedure do not touch the electrical circuit. Should you choose to act on any advice on this forum you do so at your own risk.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 pm