new CH system, advice on thermostat
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jb1468
Apprentice
Apprentice

new CH system, advice on thermostat

by jb1468 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:17 pm

To start I don't know a great deal about this area. I'm renovating my property and updating the CH system (very old boiler). I have a plumbing and heating engineer coming in few weeks to do the work.

I have Oil CH and am installing a conventional condensing boiler. I have a hot water cylinder. He is fitting a motorised valve to provide hot water separate to the heating system and a double time clock. I am also fitting TRV's to the rads. He first suggested not fitting a room stat, however given all the advice I read I have decided I want a room stat. I need to purchase the stat before he arrives as he is bringing all the other materials.

Hope I have provided enough context info. I have read around stats and I would like to fit a digital (for accuracy) programmable thermostat. The idea being that I set the CH programme/clock to always on and allow the stat to do the rest i.e. manage the temperature at different times.

Have I missed something or have I got this badly wrong. Will a digital programmable stat work ok with my system. Any advice on make/model? Are they any more expensive to get fitted than a basic stat. Its a basic 3 up 2 down house and am planning to fit it in hallway (will keep TRV of that rad) Any reassurance advice would be much welcomed

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:10 am

A PRT is more expensive to buy, but should cost no more to connect than a standard stat. If installing the wires is going to be a problem, choose a wireless type. There are numerous ones about.

Installing into the existing system should be a doddle, but how well it works will depend on how the whole system is plumbed and wired. The fact your installer was not intending to fit a room stat in the first place makes me raise eyebrows.

jb1468
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jb1468 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:50 pm

[quote="plumbbob"]A PRT is more expensive to buy, but should cost no more to connect than a standard stat. If installing the wires is going to be a problem, choose a wireless type. There are numerous ones about.

Installing into the existing system should be a doddle, but how well it works will depend on how the whole system is plumbed and wired. The fact your installer was not intending to fit a room stat in the first place makes me raise eyebrows.[/quote]

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1