New Consumer Unit

Postby lockstock » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:00 pm

I've C&G 2360 (1&2) & C&G 2391, financal circumstances, have meant that I've had to do kitchen fitting, so not so hot on the products on the market. Hope you guys can point me in the right direction.
I'm going to install a new CCU in my flat, but need to re-postion it. Hence the existing cables wont reach. I'm guessing that this must be a common problem, but not one that I have come across.
Is there such a thing as a connector board, that allows you to extended the existing cables to the new unit?
If so, what's it's proper name? Feel a bit embarrassed asking, but better here than down the wholesalers & getting laughed at !

Many thanks
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:11 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:58 am

Depends how many cables. One or two you can use a standard junction box but if you have more then adaptable boxes are a little bigger and can handle more cables. The latter don't have any connectors built in and you must use some form of connectors. From the cheap choc block to din rail with modular terminals with jumper bars etc. Often I have seen surface boxes with blanking plates used even central heating junction boxes. Or even proper shrink sleeve cable joints. It is a case of weighing up what you have and selecting the best option there is no black and white answer.

Postby lockstock » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:32 pm

Well that seems pretty straight forward.
But I seem to remember seeing something called a 'Chief Box' (or something like that).
Anyway, I guess if using 'J' boxes is okay then so be it.
Not looked at the new 17th Ed Regs yet, I wonder if there is anything about this subject in it?
Thanks ericmark, for your reply.
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:11 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics