New Dimmer Switch.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bpirrie
Labourer
Labourer

New Dimmer Switch.

by bpirrie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:37 pm

Hi !
I am trying to replace an old dimmer switch. When I took the old one off there was 3 sets of cables behind the plate. All the earth wires are wound together and attached to the interior wall plate. The black wires are all wound together and are not attached to anything. And the the 3 reds , two are wound together and one is single. they are connected to the back of the switch. The old switch was working but I,m wanting to renew it. Is it safe to connect as before ?

electricman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by electricman » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:33 pm

Yes, if the switch is plastic, if the new switch is metal, i,e, brass you will need a short earth wire from the earth terminal in the back of the switch box to the earth terminal on the switch.

bpirrie
Labourer
Labourer

New sockets ?

by bpirrie » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:40 am

I moved into my house in July. The property had Night-Storage heaters in the past but the heaters are no-longer there. The sockets are. I was wondering if it would be ok for me to swap the sockets so that they could be used for other electrical appliances ? There is a seperate fuse-box. I,m not sure if it is connected.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: New sockets ?

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:35 pm

[quote="bpirrie"]I moved into my house in July. The property had Night-Storage heaters in the past but the heaters are no-longer there. The sockets are. I was wondering if it would be ok for me to swap the sockets so that they could be used for other electrical appliances ? There is a seperate fuse-box. I,m not sure if it is connected.[/quote]

bpirrie
i will wait 4 my man in the field , good friend Electricman to comment on this 4 u.
BLAKEY1963

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:21 am