Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kevinj
Apprentice
Apprentice

New downstairs toilet & basin in garage conversion - was

by kevinj » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi all

I am looking to have my current attached garage converted into a playroom with a small room within containing a toilet and hand basin.

I have had a couple of builders round to check my ideas out and they are getting back to me after first contacting the local council and sketching some ideas etc etc.

I have done some reading on the internet and my query is really with the waste from the toilet in particular and the basin.

The existing upstairs toilet is in the only bathroom and is on the opposite side of the house from the garage, the waste pipe goes directly down into a cupboard downstairs which is no good as it's not in reach at all.

But we do have a manhole cover outside the front of the garage between our property and next door.

What can go through the manhole as in waste? Can toilet waste go into this, as when I mentioned this, both builders seemed to agree and will check, but reading some posts on here etc seems to suggest that man holes are only for guttering water etc.

Any information would be great.

Thanks

Kevin

eljaybee
Ganger
Ganger

by eljaybee » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:12 pm

it depends upon whether or not the drainage system you wish to connect into is a foul system (or maybe even a combined system if an older property)

The only way to check this out is to lift covers and throw water down to see where it runs. This can be helped by adding drain testing dye to the water.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:41 am

Lift the manhole cover and get someone to flush the toilet and open the basin and kitchen taps. If after little wait, water flows, you can be fairly sure it is a foul drain which a toilet can be connected to. If nothing flows, repeat the exercise by, if possible pouring water down the gutter rainwater pies, or down any drains in the driveway. If a flow occurs, then the drain could be for surface water only.

Pouring water down the manhole will indicate the direction of flow and help identify if the drain is upstream or downstream of your property.

kevinj
Apprentice
Apprentice

by kevinj » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:42 pm

Thank you for your advice.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:07 am