New Drive Way and do I Need Planning Permission for it?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dave.Birm
Labourer
Labourer

New Drive Way and do I Need Planning Permission for it?

by Dave.Birm » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to create a new entrance to my house. It's from my front garden but would constitute a new entrance. I'm not planning on dropping the curb and i don't think i need permission but as its a £5k + job i thought prudent to check.

We have a 1.5meter high wall along the pavement as our property is 1.5m above the road level.

I want to dig out approx 6 meter width move the wall back away 2m from the pavement creating a 12meter square graveled (porous) area for bins etc, (digging out 6x 2m x 1.5 = 18cubic meters).

Then from that have two 1.75meter wide walls and a 2.5 meter wide entrance/slope (adding up to the 6m dug out) up to the house with a 1m wide block paved path in the centre of the 2.5 meter wide slope. (i don't plan on exceeding the 5metersquare non porous path rule) and will likely use the garden behind as a soak away or porous materials for the path any way

I can't see anywhere that says i should have planning permission for this, but as we're digging out such a large section and it's a new entrance to the highway i thought some advice would be needed!

Thanks for your help

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New Drive Way and do I Need Planning Permission for it?

by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:55 pm

you will need planning for the drainage system, if any is being installed

Dave.Birm
Labourer
Labourer

by Dave.Birm » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:07 am

welsh brickie wrote:you will need planning for the drainage system, if any is being installed

Hi,
I hadn't thought about having a drainage system installed, under what circumstances would i need to put one in? Without one, i don't need any permissions?

thanks for your input, appreciated

Dave

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:01 pm

if your installing a linear drainage channel for instance, you will need to divert it to a soakaway, and not to the main drainage system.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1