New extension, possible use of macerator??
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rusty bullet hole
Labourer
Labourer

New extension, possible use of macerator??

by Rusty bullet hole » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:11 am

Hi everyone,

I am about to construct a new front extension which will house a down stairs wc in one room, and an ensuite in another room.
Currently my bathroom is at the rear of the house (1st floor) and the main sewer runs along the rear of the house.

I was planning to use a macerator but notice that they can only pump 300mm horizontal before any vertical lift.

As i need to lift into the loft space (concrete flors downstairs), and the extension is outside of the original outer skin of the house (and at the front) i cannot get my vertical lift within 300mm of the macerator.

Has anyone got any experience of a different arrangement?

I cant get normal 4" waste pipe underground to the rear of the house as the driveway is 200mm thick concrete and 10 metres long.

Last thing, there is another drain that runs through the front garden with a man hole quite nearby but i dont know if its foul water or not? What else could it be?

Cheers

Skids
Ganger
Ganger

by Skids » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:35 pm

Hi Rusty bullet hol

Have your Local Council Building Department put any restrictions on the build regarding your drainage work? I would have thought your architect/builder would have sorted all the drainage out for you?

If you can use a drain on the same side as your extension, use it, however, if its ‘Surface Water Sewer’ DO NOT connect to it, if it’s a ‘Foul Water Sewer’ or a ‘Combined Sewer’ you will be ok.

If you do not know, don’t just guess, contact your 'Water Undertaker’ and ask them to tell you. Its cheaper than the fine!!

PS. It should always go down hill ~ pump it uphill and you will always be maintaining the pipework/pump, yes you can do anything and can be sold anything, however if its mechanical it will breakdown! Always keep it simple!!

Regards

Skids

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:26 pm