New house needs a damp proofing course
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nat1988
Labourer
Labourer

New house needs a damp proofing course

by nat1988 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi, My name's Natalie and i'm new to DIY doctor.

I'm in the process of buying a victorian house. The surveyors report has shown high recordings of damp in the hall way and living room. It also states that there are signs of a previous damp proofing course that may not have been effective or that it may have been effective and the original plaster was not removed so is retaining the moisture.

I've been told by a few people that if it has had a damp proofing course in the past that the same company can be called back in to re-do the work that was ineffective. I'm looking for some advice to whether the vendor should pay for the damp proofing course before we finalise or whether we are expected to pay once we've signed the contracts.

Also, Is it possible that the damp proofing was effective but the old plaster wasn't hacked off and is retaining the old moisture?

I would speak to the estate agent and vendors solicitor but unfortunately no one is getting back to me and i'm beginning to panic.

Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks

sacking3
Labourer
Labourer

by sacking3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:28 pm

Natalie, if they didn't do it right the first time why would you invite them back?
You are buying the house in the state you see it. I don't believe there is any obligation on the seller to sort out the problems. You should negotiate a lower price to cover your cost of redoing the work.
generally there is a 20 year guarantee for damp proofing but there are cowboys operating who go in and out of businesses as often as you've had hot dinners. The guarantees are next to useless unless it is a bona fide company, which is unlikely.
you need to get an expert to look at the problem and advise you.

regards, paul

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:16 am