New house......please help
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steq184
Apprentice
Apprentice

New house......please help

by steq184 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Have had an offer on a 3 bed semi house accepted, the first questions of many i guess once i have moved in is about central heating.
The current owner had the boiler go wrong so as he could not afford to get it repaired or replaced he in his wisdom re routed the pipes from the broken boiler in the loft down to a wood burning chiminia in the garden. In his defence it does work and heats the water and the radiators fine but we still want to have a boiler!
The boiler needs to be able to heat 9 radiators in the main house and a further 4 radiators in the annex. All the radiators have trvs fitted.....apart from the towel rail.
The questions i have are:
Is it a good idea to have a boiler in a loft?
What is the difference between a combi and a normal boiler?
What sort of price should I expect to pay for the boiler etc.

Oh yeah....we're going to have a power shower if that makes any difference to anything.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:24 pm

steq184,
"Is it a good idea to have a boiler in a loft?" If the system is OK and it has been designed as such then YES.
"What is the difference between a combi and a normal boiler?" combi heats the hot water directly and relies on mains pressure so no hot water tank.
"What sort of price should I expect to pay for the boiler etc." Installed with pipe mods £3000+
end

uk_ducati
Ganger
Ganger

by uk_ducati » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Just to add to that last post. If you want a boiler in the loft it would need to have a permanent loft ladder installed. Permanent lighting and floorboards fitted at least from the hatch to the boiler. As for the cost it depends on where you are. If you are in the Coventry area expect to pay about £2000

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1