New kitchen - can i fit in my existing appliances
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sec79
Apprentice
Apprentice

New kitchen - can i fit in my existing appliances

by sec79 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:15 am

Hi.
I am looking at fitting a new kitchen. The design I have seen is shaker style in birch, with black worktops and dark flooring.
I am on a budget and wanting to see if I can not have to buy new appliances. All of mine are white, which won't exactly look great with the kitchen I have chosen. Free standing fridge freezer is going in the corner behind the door, not too visible so that is not an issue.

The condensor tumble dryer and washing machine are the issues.
Is it possible to put the tumble dryer under the worktop and put a cupboard door on the front, or does it need to be an integrated machine to do this?

I don't want a combined washer/ dryer as they're very expensive and not reliable or fault free.

Both are second hand and I don't mind replacing the washing machine, but the tumble dryer wouldn't warrant the cost and useage really. I only use it really in the winter to dry bedding and towels. I don't have anywhere else I could move the tumble dryer to unfortunately.

Cheapest option would be for both existing machines to go under the worktop and be visible. However, I may move in a couple of years, and if I do not sure what the new owner would do with the gap left by the tumble dryer.

If anyone has any solutions or thoughts I would really appreciate these.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:51 pm

sec79,
Unfortunately for you, you can only have intergrated appliance that doors will fit on to. So under the worktops and visible is your only option if your not prepared to replace, as far as selling up in a couple of years, I'd cross that bridge when you come to it. You usually find that new owners tend to change the kitchen anyway!
KB

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:24 pm

You can buy appliance units, take measurments to see if your existing units will fit - wickes do a good range with measurements online.

htg

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:56 pm

The difference between freestanding and built in appliances is the door fits to the appliance rather than the cupboard. Because tumble dryers are often smaller than other appliances, it is often possible to fit a standard 600mm door simply because the dryer will push back further and the door can be fitted to the cupboard on either side.

Covering a washing machine is far more tricky. Firstly, they tend to stick out more, which means you need a deeper worktop specifically a 665mm worktop, which won't be available from budget suppliers. I am not saying all washer's won't fit under a 600mm w/top, some will. You need to make measurements carefully.

Another point, you can't fit a single 600mm door over the front either. If you do, the hinge fouls the soap drawer, stopping it from being pulled out. You have to fit two doors - a 300 and 400mm for example.

As for gaps left after you leave, I would not worry. It's not your problem, and anyway, he may want simply to fit appliances just as you have done.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:33 pm

"However, I may move in a couple of years,"

then in all honesty I'd say its not worth the investment in a new kitchen if the current one is serviceable and you have definite plans to move. It won't necessarily help to sell the property and you won't get your money back in the sale.

"....and if I do not sure what the new owner would do with the gap left by the tumble dryer."

Fit a new tumble dryer in it???

Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:19 pm