New landing light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Paul_Crewe
Labourer
Labourer

New landing light

by Paul_Crewe » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:07 pm

i want to change my old landing light which is fitted on on old rose,

the wires are, brown wire to light, red wire from ceiling, then 3 red wires in the 3 middle rose holes, then 2 black wires in the next hole then another black wire in the next hole then a blue wire to the light in the last hole.

which wire do i put on the live terminal on the new connection, which wires are the neutral and which wires then go in the loop connection,

there is a swith upstairs and downstairs for this light.

thanks in advance

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:02 pm

There is a good projects section on here covering what you ask. Since we can't post pictures and they are included in projects that is best option.

You will have:-

Earths likely bare wires with green/yellow sleeves these all connect together.

Switch line return with is likely a black wire with red sleeve and connects to brown wire on pendent this is likely on outer double connection block of rose and needs carefully marking so it does not get mixed up with neutrals.

Line in and out to next lamp and switch likely all red and possible will not be provided for in new lamp and you may need some form of connector block to connect these all together. These will be live even when lamp is switched off. Likely all go to centre three way block in rose.

Neutral likely one in and one out to next lamp plus blue wire from pendent. Again careful not to get these mixed up with return from switch which may be same colour.

Major thing is to ID switch wire and make sure it does not get mixed up with neutrals.

Do remember people may in the future lift floor boards and even feel around under the floor boards don't push any live cables into the ceiling space which are not protected against anyone touching live parts.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:41 pm