New LED Driver but LED Lights Still Flash
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bluehils
Labourer
Labourer

New LED Driver but LED Lights Still Flash

Post by bluehils » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 pm

I have just changed 4 halogen 12v bulbs for MR16 LEDs 6W. At the same time I replaced the single transformer for a 30W LED driver. There is no dimmer switch involved. When I turn on the lights they all flicker very badly at about 50Hz. If I remove 2 bulbs the other 2 stop flickering. Any ideas?? Would routing the 12v cables near mains cabling cause the problem??

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New LED Driver but LED Lights Still Flash

Post by Mr White » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:20 pm

You could try moving the cable, but I would suggest you try a different LED Driver

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:45 pm

I find the G5.3 extra low voltage lamps a problem, there are so many types, the ones I have are clearly marked 50 Hz so need a toroidal transformer not electronic transformer and not a driver. Others at marked DC 10 - 30 volt designed to run off batteries or some other ripple free device.

I have not found any MR16 replacements which require a driver, every one I have found has the driver built in, however I have found regulated DC power supplies labelled drivers. Although a drive is a device which regulates the current supplied to LED lamps, it seems some label anything to do with LED's drivers.

Although a power supply may be DC that does not mean it is ripple free, to regulate power the typical method is to use switch mode or pulse width modulated, this means it switches on and off many times a minute and gives an average voltage of 12 volt, this is all well and good if the lamp it feeds has a simple resistor to control current, but with the better quality lamp they have chips which also uses switch mode to regulate current,

If you have two switch mode regulators one feeding the other then the second one is being switched off all the time so can't stabilise. It may seem odd but cheap inefficient LED packages giving 70 lumen per watt are often better than the expensive giving 100 lumen per watt because the expensive have built in switch mode regulation.

It is unlikely you can see 50 Hz flicker, birds can see it, but not humans, since a toroidal transformer is expensive I now use GU10 low voltage (230 volt) everywhere but bathroom, and the G5.3 are clearly marked 50 Hz so I know are matched to transformer used.

bluehils
Labourer
Labourer

Post by bluehils » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:00 am

Hi. Thanks your informative reply. I have replaced the MR 16 bulbs with better quality Philips ones and the problem has been solved.I guess you get what you pay for.Thanks again

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:49 pm